Friday, April 3, 2009

La Dolce Vita

TGIF (thank goodness for a free day!). Yipee I have a free day and this is what I did:

  • Errands
  • Laundry
  • Lunch with a buddy (Thanks for lunch Jenn!)
  • Clean
  • People watch and window shop at Santana Row

The weather was perfect. Spring has sprung, which is great, but I will miss citrus season! I was feeling a bit luxe today so I squeezed myself a fresh glass of blood orange juice. I was tempted to throw in some sparkling wine but drinking by myself is a bit too luxurious. So instead I used some bubbly mineral water. It made me feel like I was sitting on the grounds of an Italian villa in a sundress...cin cin.


Speaking of privilege, I was super lucky to have spent last weekend in the city at a friend's new apartment (Thanks LTN!!). Check out the great view from her window below (ignore my reflection). We had a great slumber party and it was great catching up with friends.

I made breakfast for the girls and they seemed to enjoy it, and they wanted the recipes. I felt like a domestic urbanite cooking in a very uncluttered kitchen (unlike mine), the sunlight shining through the windows and a view of the city below, it was fun!

Crème Brûlée French Toast: I've made a few revisions to the original recipe.

  • I omit the corn syrup (totally unnecessary)
  • I use challah (holla!! its a great egg-y bread, brioche is good too but a bit more buttery-très decadent)
  • I use whole milk instead
  • I substitute the grand marnier with zest from one orange (I forgot this ingredient in SF though!)

Chicken sausage spinach fritatta with goat cheese: Fritattas are great with everything (I usually have it with rice). They can be made with any ingredient you have on hand.

  • Garlic
  • Thinly sliced onions
  • Olive oil
  • chicken sausage (casing removed)
  • Spinach (8oz bag is great)
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Goat cheese
  • pinch of salt and pepper

Have the oven preheated to 375 degrees. Mix eggs and milk in a bowl add salt and pepper Using an oven safe skillet on medium high heat, cook the sausage until lightly browned and cooked. Set the sausage aside on a plate. In same skillet, saute onions and garlic in the olive oil until onions are clear, add spinach until wilted then add the reserved sausage.

Pour half of the egg mixture into the skillet and then place slices of goat cheese on top, then pour the rest of the egg mixture in. Cook on the stove top until the edges are set, then put in the oven for about 5-10 minutes or until the center is set.

I hope all that made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment